Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Thoughts - The Nikon D90

I own a Nikon D3 but I wanted something smaller and lighter for our trip through Spain and Rome. It wanted good high ISO performance and an on-camera flash as I didn't want to lug around my SB-800 Speedlite. After researching the options I settled on the Nikon D90.

Verdict? I feel like a gun-slinger with the D90! It's lightweight, fast, nimble, very well setup, with easy access to all my key settings.

Speed

  • It's lightweight (for a DLSR)
  • On/Off switch is perfectly placed
  • Function button is set to show "My Menu" where I have all of the things that I access most frequently available with 1 button press
  • Frame rate is very good. My default setup is Low frame rate at 1 FPS. If I hold the shutter button down, I get 1 frame per second. It will do 4 FPS on the High frame rate setting.

Shooting

  • Aperture Priority - for everything (just about)
  • Rear command dial = adjust the aperture
  • Rear command dial + Exposure comp = Adjust exposure comp
  • Front command dial = adjust ISO (wow! - more info below)
  • Metering - Matrix (use exposure comp as needed)
  • Auto Focus - Either single-shot or continuous depending on the situation. If I'm focusing and then re-composing the shot, I will leave it on single-shot. If it's a movement type of situation, then continuous is the setting. For my trip, I found it in single-shot most of the time simply because I was choosing my focus point, and then re-composing when taking the actual shot.
  • Image Review - On. So I could quickly see the 3 color histogram.

ISO Adjustment (d3 ISO Display and Adjustment / Easy ISO)

  • Nikon D90 Function d3 (ISO Display and Adjustment / Easy ISO)
  • This is such a great feature. I purchased and read Thom Hogan's "Complete Guide to the Nikon D90" and discovered this little gem of a setting. Sure, there are other people that are going to hate this, but let me explain why I like it.
  • I use the rear command dial in Aperture Priority mode to control my depth of field (right thumb of right hand).
  • I can use the front command dial in Aperature Priority mode to control my ISO (index finger of right hand).
  • So, 5 minutes ago I was outside shooting f/8 at 200 ISO. Now we've stepped inside the building and I want to shoot at f/3.5. Oops, the shutter speed is too slow at f/3.5 and 200 ISO. No problem, I quickly bump the ISO setting up to 1250 by rotating the front command dial with my right index finger and take the shot. My eye never moved from the viewfinder! Awesome!
  • In 2 weeks of taking pictures indoors and out, I have really come to love this setting. It just makes the camera so dang fast to use.

My Menu

  • Photographic super-charger!
  • Assign the function button to bring up My Menu (setting f3 "Access top item in MY MENU")
  • When you press the function button (middle finger, right hand) the first item that you have in your My Menu list is popped on the LCD display
  • To quickly get to the rest of your My Menu items, click the 4-way pad to the left with your right thumb - now all items are visable.
  • Quickly scroll to the one you want, set it, and shoot!
  • My Menu settings are as follows
    - AF Area Mode (a1)
    - Center Focus Point (a2)
    - Self-Timer (c3)
    - Active D-Lighting
    - Set Picture Control
    - ISO Sensivity Settings **
    - Image Review
    - Delete
    - Assign AE-L/AF-L button (f4)
    - Easy Exposure Compensation (b2) ***

    ** - Not necessary. I use the d3 setting for Easy ISO
    *** - Not necessary. Just use Exp Comp button near On/Off switch

Sensor Dust

  • I have the D90 set to clean at shutdown (power off)
  • After an inital test for dust, and subsequent cleaning with the LensPen SensorKlear II sensor cleaning pen, I have not had any dust.
  • I have changed lenses in the field (power always off, of course)
  • Very impressed

Battery Life

  • I have 1 spare battery
  • Used no-flash and flash at whim, with image review on
  • I charged Battery 1 one time (it was at about 33%) and I charged Battery 2 one time (also about 33%)
  • Very impressed
  • I suspect I could have made it with 2 fully charged batteries and never recharged, but why take the chance?

See Also

No comments:

Post a Comment